Filling out tax paperwork is always a hassle, especially when you come across different types of forms with names that are similar. Here, we will tell you about the IRS Form W-9 and how to fill it out.
You will have to fill out the IRS Form W-9 if you’re an independent contractor, self-employed service supplier, or a company providing services to another business entity. Depending on the information you supply in this form, your customer or client will issue you a Form 1099-MISC in the conclusion of the fiscal year.
Typically, almost all of your customers will ask you to fill out the W-9 form. As you probably must submit the Form W-9 multiple occasions, it is far better to fill it out and store it for repeated future use. You can quickly fill out the IRS type W-9 form on almost any device using PDFliner, the very best online PDF Editor.
How to Download Form W-9
If you’re being asked to fill out the form W-9 by a customer or customer, they’ll also probably provide you with a copy of the form. Otherwise, you may always download the IRS Form W-9 on your device.
When there are several websites that host a copy of the paper, we recommend downloading the W-9 form directly from the IRS website, so you always have the most current and correct version of the form.
How to fill Form W-9
Filling PDF forms with PDFliner is a breeze. Here are 5 simple steps to do this:
- Register with PDFliner.
- Open your W-9 form in PDF Expert.
- Click on any area and start typing your information (see the notes below).
- Save the complete type in cloud storage so you can recover it from any place in the future.
- Print out the form, signal it, insert a date and then send it to a client.
P.1 – Type in your title or company name exactly as it appears in your tax returns.
P.3 – Carefully examine the company entity types mentioned here and pick the correct checkbox corresponding to your own enterprise. For sole proprietors, choose the first checkbox.
P.5,6,7 – Enter the address at which you want to get the Form 1099-MISC.
Part I – Enter either SSN or EIN, for sole proprietors; they’re interchangeable so that you can use either one.
Common mistakes while filling out Form W-9
Mistakes are something most of us make. But mistakes on your tax returns may prove to be costly. Several have found this out the hard way – a little typo in some of the fields can cost you big.
- Mistyping your name or DBA on the W-9 can actually trigger an audit since it might seem to IRS that you didn’t report your form 1099-MISC if you submit your tax return afterwards.
- The same thing could happen if you make a typo in the SSN or EIN. Bear in mind that your customer doesn’t have any way to verify that you’ve entered the correct details on your own W-9 form.
- Make sure that your mailing address is correct. Otherwise, you will not get your 1099-MISC sort later.
Keep all the forms in one place, for example, in PDFliner. This enables quick access when you need them. Once more, be sure to provide accurate information in your W-9. This will make sure that payments you receive are correctly reported on the IRS. If you are not certain of some items, always talk to your financial adviser.